LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER – DIESEL
Clarkdale Arizona Central Railroad (AZCR)/Verde Canyon Railroad (VCRR)
Location: Clarkdale, Arizona
Status: Full Time
The Clarkdale Arizona Central Railroad operates 42 miles of railroad between Clarkdale, AZ and Drake, AZ.
Main responsibilities will focus on proper diesel locomotive operation and train handling required for both the freight and passenger trains. This is a hands-on position that will allow a self-starting candidate to thrive.
- Must have a working knowledge of train operations
- Must qualify as locomotive fireman
- Must be able to think quickly on the job and safely perform the duties assigned.
- Must have an understanding of air brake and mechanical system of a train and locomotives and pass a written test to verify competency.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with team members, customers, and management
- Collaborate with other members of team to ensure an efficient operation
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Due to the safety sensitivity and physical nature of positions in the railroad industry, successful applicants need to be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicant must be currently authorized to work permanently in the United States
- Applicant must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Must understand air brakes and the mechanical system of a train and locomotives and pass a written test to verify competency.
- Basic knowledge of electrical and mechanical equipment and repair.
- Must be able to work any day of week depending on workload and requirements.
- Must be able to climb ladders, use hand tools, operate a locomotive, and worked in confined spaces such as inspections pits, generator rooms, and electrical cabinets.
- Must also be committed to promoting a safe workplace.
- Must able to stand or sit for long periods of time, walk considerable distance on uneven surfaces, bend and or twist at odd angles and lift heavy objects up to 75 lbs.
- Able to work outside in all weather conditions including extreme heat.
- GCOR Qualified
- 49CFR240 Engineer Qualification
- 49CFR242 Conductor Qualification
- Should be a people person, with a positive attitude
The most qualified candidates will be selected from the available pool of applicants without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability or veteran status. The selection criteria will be job-related skills and attributes as outlined above. Successful candidates must have a stable work record and exhibit safe work practices. The ability to work in a team environment with a focus on customer service is critical. Applicant must be currently authorized to work permanently in the United States
Applicants must be able to read and comprehend regulations and instructions in English, as well as possess good oral communication skills. Successful applicants will be required to pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screen and complete a medical questionnaire. Every employee is an at-will employee. All employees are expected to know and abide by standard code of Employee Conduct.
Company provided benefits: participation in the Railroad Retirement Program, company-paid medical insurance and life insurance for employee. Dependent medical and family dental and vision provided at cost for employees, paid vacation, 401(k) Program, and 9 paid holidays.